Monday 3 October 2016

Cornwall Landscape Photography



Lands End
Fading light Lands End

I've not posted in a while because I've been away on holiday and I've had lots of images I wanted to process. I've often thought about taking a laptop with me when I go away to try and keep on top of processing. To date I've resisted the temptation and I'm not sure how well it would go down with the rest of the family, holidays are one good reason to escape computers.

This summer I spent two weeks down in Cornwall with the family. A week down near Sennen and then a week on the Lizard. I've never been to Lizard before so it was a great opportunity to explore somewhere new and add to my Cornish portfolio.

Week 1: Sennen

I already had a long list of familiar locations I wanted to go back to either at a different time of day or different tide. Unfortunately the weather was a little unpredictable and sunrises & sunsets were few and far between. For half the week we had a string of very misty mornings and evenings. By 6pm the mist started to roll in and didn't clear till 9am the next morning. This is not good for avid landscape photographers who are up at the crack of dawn. Perhaps it was one way to force me into relaxing which if you know me is not something I do easily.

Great spots to visit:

Lands End
Lands End -sunset

Sennen Bay
Sennen bay - sunset
Pend Vounder Beach
Pend Vounder Beach - sunrise

Porth Curno
Porth Curno - daytime long exposure

Port Nanven
Porth Nanven - this was sunrise best at sunset weather permitting!

Botallack Mines
Botallack mines - long exposure on a windy day


Week 2: Lizard

Before arriving in Lizard I had done some googling of possible photo locations. Lizard does seem a bit overlooked for some of the more iconic Cornish locations. However, there are some great locations and rugged coastal scenery. Making the most of the light was the biggest challenge.


Great spots to visit:

Lizard point
Lizard - sunset

Lizard point
Lizard - sunrise


Kynance Cove
Kynance Cove - early morning

Kynance
Kynance - evening light


Lizard coastal path
Coastal path along from Lizard - sunset 
Mullion Cove
Mullion Cove - evening
All in all a great break away and an opportunity to explore a little more of Cornwall.

Resources:

Cornwall Flickr album - including location info of all shots
www.marona.co.uk/cornwall-scillies/

No comments:

Post a Comment